Green Building Solutions for Home, Office and Community
How Consumers can save $550 a year on energy costs
Bill Swietlik has worked in EPA's Office of Water in Washington DC since 1988. In 2009, he created the EPA Green Homes website. This
website provides pages of useful, practical information and advice for
the homeowner or apartment dweller to live a greener, more energy
efficient life at home.
While he was developing the website, he and his wife decided to
implement as many of the recommendations as possible to see if they could
live greener, and after six months the results came in!
EPA's new Green Homes website is at www.epa.gov/greenhomes
- They are using 35% less electricity,
- They are using a bit less water,
- They are recycling 75% of all our household waste,
- Most storm water runoff stays on our property during each rainfall,
- They are gradually eliminating our ½ acre of lawn (and all the work
that goes with it) and turning it into a garden of native plants by
re-naturalizing our yard.
- They purchased 100% Green Power (renewable electricity) from the local utility through their renewable energy program.
- And, they've done all this with minimal expense and are saving almost $550 a year on energy bills!
Edited by Carolyn Allen, Managing Editor of Solutions For Green